- Addition/subtraction: We are finishing up our addition/subtraction unit! I will be teaching estimation with my interactive notebooks, and continuing to review the properties with this math center game. I am also putting in some multiplication math center games to get the kiddos start reviewing those facts- our multiplication/division unit is slowly sneaking up on us!
I do rotations for reading. One station this week will be morphology related, one will be independent reading, and one will be a reading passage/comprehension. The fourth will be working on the below topics with me. We alternate word study with morphology (the vocabulary notebooks). Our focus this week for our mini-lessons will be:
- Morphology: I LOVE these notebooks and they are so simple to put into your reading stations, since they are independent work for the kids. Each week focuses on a particular set of suffixes, prefixes, or roots. In the beginning of the year, we focus on prefixes as the kids learn what these various affixes do and how they work. Each day is a different activity: Monday is a sort, Tuesday is a morpheme illustration, Wednesday is sentences, and Thursday is guide words. Friday is the cumulative quiz.
- Homophones: During small group time, I will work on the printables with the students. I will also grab a bunch of reference books from the library so that students can hands-on see what each of the reference books consist of.
- Writing prompt: We are working on the writing process, and I am making sure to incorporate an author's share into EVERY step. It is so powerful for the kids to see and hear their peers' work, as well as learn to respectfully offer feedback.
- Ecosystems & interdependency: Moving into our ecosystems lessons! The kids this week will learn about aquatic ecosystems, terrestrial ecosystems, human influence, and interdependency. They are having a quiz on Friday, and will review with a Bill Nye on Thursday. I am incorporating my various worksheets and interactive notebooks into each day.
- Ecosystems Interactive Notebook
- Terrestrial ecosystems & aquatic ecosystems worksheets
- VIDEO: Bill Nye on biodiversity (o Netflix)
- VIDEO: Crash Course Kids on Freshwater/Saltwater
- VIDEO: The Lorax
Yay, fun week ahead! Let me know if you have any fun ideas or good video resources for various lessons that you may be teaching too :-)