Saturday, February 6, 2016

Using Google Classroom



Are you using Google Classroom yet? It has transformed my classroom setting and made technology more than an "add-on" for me.

WHAT IS IT?
Ultimately, it is a step into a paperless classroom! Here is a great demo video Google created explaining it. As more schools glide into 1:1 devices, Google Classroom is becoming more prevalent in both the elementary and secondary classroom! Once your students have usernames and you become more familiar with it, the interface is easy and simple.

BUT.... I LOVE PAPER AND NOTEBOOKS!
If you have followed my posts or products, you know that I am an interactive notebook fiend! I love
the cutting. I love the gluing. I love the folding. I love the coloring. I love having notebooks full of colorful graphic organizers. I have bookshelves full of our composition notebooks that we use for every single subject. I ADORE these and think they are an integral part of how my students learn and our classroom functions. However, I am also a big technology lover. My school is not 1:1 devices, and I do not see that happening for a while. Regardless, I have a total of five laptops in my classroom. I am always up on the new technology trends, and I have been so excited the past two years to be all over Google Classroom! In my classroom, we mix together the interactive-ness of paper with technology. These two are easily used side-by-side.



ARE TEACHERS PAY TEACHERS PRODUCTS AVAILABLE TO USE IN GOOGLE CLASSROOM?
I created a product to use with Google Classroom- my first of many! It is a product specifically created for literacy centers or your reading block that is all about summarizing. It is a place for students to demonstrate their learning and understanding of summarizing, as well as practice this tough skill. It also includes key vocabulary. It defines both the word summary and summarize- sometimes that "z" in summarize completely throws my kids off!




HOW DO I USE IT?
Below are steps on how to upload your Teachers Pay Teachers product into your Google Classroom account. Now, these steps may look SUPER INTIMIDATING at first. However, once you get the hang of it, it only takes about a minute!


Steps on how to place your Google Drive product into your Google Classroom!


Step 1. 
After downloading the product from Teachers Pay Teachers, click the link listed on the PDF to open it up in your Google Drive. Make sure that you are logged in to your Google account first!











Step 2. 
After clicking the link, you'll be taken to this screen. Press the blue button! Ta-da, you have your product!



Step 3. (ONLY IF YOU WANT TO EMAIL TO STUDENTS. SKIP THIS STEP IF YOU WANT TO PUT IT ON GOOGLE CLASSROOM).
Great, now you have your editable copy! On the upper left hand side screen of the copy, click the blue "Share" button. You can email out to your students at this point. OR, if you want to go the Google Classroom route, skip this step and keep going!


Step 4. 
Open up Google Classroom. Click the big plus sign on the right-hand bottom of screen, then "Create new assignment." The screen below will pop up. 
 Click the "Google Drive" symbol.
This screen will pop up. Select your COPY Google Drive document. This will allow your students to edit it.


Step 5.
ALMOST DONE! Scroll down to "Make copy for each student." This means that they will not all be editing the same document. 


Type in your instructions for students regarding how they should use it. You'll see that I love using this product as one of my literacy centers!





Again, the steps seem longer and more time-consuming than they really are. In reality, this whole sequence takes less than five minutes once you get the hang of it. Definitely shorter than running to the copy machine to make some copies!



I currently have a few Google Drive products in my TPT store if you'd like to check them out!
















Do you use Google Classroom? What tips or tricks do you have?

4 comments:

  1. I love that you included your instructions and may end up pointing buyers here - it never hurts to show instructions in more than one way, and I know there are always hiccups when learning new technologies. I just love how colorful interactive digital resources can be! Without being overwhelming, they are visually appealing so look amazing if the students want to present their ideas to others. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very helpful post, Kelly. Thank you. I'm new to Google Classroom; just started using it with my students 3 weeks ago and love it! So, right now, I'm eating everything up that I can find on switching my classroom over to digital. Your post was a huge help; plus, the video enhanced it. I did want to ask about the link at the bottom on Summarizing; I couldn't get it to download. Thanks again, Janet jgteach2reach@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janet! You need to purchase before you can download on Teachers Pay Teachers. Have a wonderful day :-)

      Delete
  3. Hey Kelly!

    I am working on a blog post about some of my Google products and was wondering if I could provide a link in my post to this post? You do a beautiful job explaining it and I just don’t want to reinvent the wheel :P No big deal if you would rather me do my own. Just wanted to check with you first. Thanks!

    Julie
    The Techie Teacher

    ReplyDelete